Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blasts from the Past, Day 29


Napolean Hill.

What is it about this guy? He's the self-help guru to end all self-help gurus. Eighty years later he's still going strong. You can get his books for free from various web sites. You can buy deluxe editions of them. You can download numerous audio versions. It doesn't seem to matter, the guy has a huge following and people will pay whatever to read him.

He puts forth some pretty wacky ideas, from "mind-meld" to "atmospheric vibrations," some of which make a little sense if you believe in "karma" or things like that. His behavioral insights are generally sound, though. Always do more work than is required of you. Be pleasant, positive and cooperative. Work as a team and draw on the intelligence and experience of others to help you get ahead. Take care of your health and mind your hygiene.

This is useful stuff, and though it's presented as an astonishing set of revelations, it's nothing common sense wouldn't dictate. But back in the day, before there was a real middle-class, this advice to people seeking advancement was no doubt highly pertinent.

He's very entertaining to narrate, I'll give him that.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Grover:
    I am trying to reach you regarding your Reading of the Benjamin Franklin Auto Biography...
    My email is
    amid (@) amidyousef.com
    To learn more about me go to http://www.youtube.com/amidyousef and you will see a bunch of Videos about me ...
    please let me know how can I talk to you. I am doing a document and I can use your help.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for your sharing, it helps me a lot and I think I'll watch your post more.
    …………………….
    slotxo
    สล็อตxo
    ทางเข้า slotxo

    ReplyDelete